The Veil is Getting Thinner
“I heard this whisper and I wondered, I heard this laugh and then I knew. The time is getting near my friends, The time that I hold dear my friends, The veil is getting thin my friends, And strange things will pass through.”
~ Author Unknown
The scent of change is in the air as we prepare for the coming death of winter. Summer’s leaves have turned to orange and brown and some have fallen to the ground to feed the earth when spring comes ’round…and the cycle carries on. Halloween is here!
(For a thorough history of Halloween and it’s connection to the ancient Celtic Festival of Samhain, please click on the link!)
On a more playful note…
I’ve worshiped at the altar of Halloween for as long as I can remember. Sure, Christmas has a big fat dude who visits you in the middle of the night and leaves you presents, but does Christmas have creepy masks and scary movies? Does Christmas demand that children go door-to-door after dark to sing songs in exchange for candy? No. No it does not.
Halloween is a superior holiday, and here are the reasons why:
1. Candy, of course.
2. Knocking on stranger’s doors is just…fun. Don’t ask why.
3. Did I mention candy?
4. Scaring children is encouraged. Not that I would….
5. It’s great fuel for the imagination, especially if you’re a kinda-sorta-writer like me who desperately needs inspiration for such things as, well…writing.
6. Mischief is in the air. Mischief is encouraged. All hail The God of Mischief, who, as it turns out is Loki. The God of Mischief is on Facebook, because of course he is.
7. Tacky is encouraged. We get to decorate the house in gaudy decorations, yay! No, wait, that’s Christmas…
8. Did I mention scaring little children?
9. It’s a time of year when we can find spooks and ghouls and old-school witches and vampires roaming the streets. How cool is that?
10. Halloween is the perfect opportunity to show off our awesome imaginations. I remember back in the 80s I actually won a costume award in elementary school for being an “Indian maiden” (a la Pocahontas). Then there was that year I went as what can only be described as a “bag-lady”-clown-fairy-person… At any rate, Halloween is an opportunity to play dress-up! No matter how lame!
12) Lastly, but certainly not least, it’s the abundance of scary movies to devour that makes Halloween a superior holiday!
And on that note, I’ve compiled a list (in no particular order) of my top 20 scary movies, because really, who doesn’t love lists?? Find that post here. C’mon, click it. You know you want to.
What do you do to celebrate the spooky season?
- Halloween (socyberty.com)
- Celtic Festivals to Candy Corns: A Brief History of Halloween (thedailymeal.com)
- Why Halloween is Cool! (thewolflair.wordpress.com)
- Halloween Vs. Christmas Decorations, Which Is Better? (wycd.radio.com)
- Bit of Mischief- Friday Flash and a contest. (melissalwebb.wordpress.com)
- Halloween – nothing to lose your head over (humanistlife.org.uk)